Monday, October 17, 2005

Might as well face it…

I don’t know what it is about some new things in a country, but lately I keep finding things and have a two week obsession with them. When I first came to China it was dumplings. A Chinese dumpling is akin to a pasta outside and a meat and or vegetable inside. They are boiled, steamed, or fried but I prefer the two former to the latter. You dip them in vinegar and away you go. I’ve seen the characters translated into “Chinese Ravioli.” Whatever you call them, I think I went for about a week straight having them at every meal and with that I include breakfast. I’ve taken to only having them on occasion, but there is always something new to replace it.

This week’s obsession is Miranda. It is Pepsi’s answer to Fanta (and you know that will always hold a special place in my heart). The closest thing I’ve come to an explanation is that in The States they use high fructose corn syrup and in China and everywhere else I’ve traveled, they use real sugar (cane sugar?) and therefore it is sweeter. A few of you may have heard a soap box moment or two on how I do not drink soda in The States, save an occasion or two where it finds a way into my adult beverage. Although this is entirely out of character, there is actually a 2 liter bottle of Miranda (or in China pronounced may-nan-da) Orange. Since I’m drinking more soda than usual I find myself brushing my teeth about twice per day so they don’t feel fuzzy. This may come as a surprise, but next week I could move on to something different, like huo guo AKA Hot Pot.

Many have asked how my classes are going. I will definitely say that things are going well considering I’ve gone from zero to teacher an about a month and a half. Though I was warned that Chinese college students acted different than American college students, I’m still adjusting. I don’t recall any class that I have taken where the teacher has to admonish his students repeatedly for talking as much as I do. I feel sometimes that they may not be listening so have resorted to one of the oldest teacher tricks in the book, asking the talkers for the answers to my questions. Definitely catches them off guard, but no true result yet. Each class has its own personality and the fact I have 6 means lots of change each time. I have several classes that are either only boys or only girls, some about half, and some that lean more to one way. This creates some interesting dynamics. I can say that I have more respect for my professors and am going to put this on its own line because it’s important (Graham I know it's your idea, you do get the credit for it):

I am sorry for coming to class unprepared.

The assignment for today was a one minute presentation and there were a handful that had obviously written them since class had begun. Though I have done the same myself, not on anything like that. We shall see what next week brings. Overall I am into what I’m doing and determined to do a good job.

No comments: