Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Settling in...

Things are starting to become more normalized and routine. I'm getting to know my classes better and they are really very friendly. I have many offers for them to take me to the best shopping places, and I guess I will eventually have to take them up on that. Many students, including those from English Corner, have offered to help me with my Chinese, so I use going to eat as an excuse to chat in Chinese and help me learn words for food.

Other than teaching, I've done some walking around the city and have found numerous excuses to people watch. This is fast becoming one of my favorite activities. The Bund (wai tan in Chinese) area of Shanghai is great because of the variety of tourists: Chinese, Western, wide-eyed, "I only came to shop, why am I seeing this?" and so on. It makes me smile and realize that I never want to be the ugly American tourist. On Sunday (the last time I saw the sun), I found a place that had dumplings to go and brought my lunch to the Bund and because I was eating like a local I only had one guy half heartedly try to sell me post cards. I know I don't blend, but this was an accomplishment in my eyes. Don't know if I could ever feel at home in this city but I like the sense that I know what is going on.

I've had news of visitor and new people joining the Shanghai adventure. No official plans for visitors but it looks as though there will be another professor joining the UND joint program. I look forward to new people seeing the country and what it holds.

Is there any news where you are? I can't get my podcasts to download, for some reason they are all timing out. I also want to remind you that coming up soon is the North Dakota Public Radio fund drive. If you listen to KFJM and NDPR now is the time for you to step up and make a contribution. This is one of the things that I really believe in, and I hope you will give it a listen and even make a pledge. www.kfjm.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shanna, My big happening is corn harvest. Jack is taking lots of corn off too. Ryan, Terry, and Redbeard have been helping so far. Chad may be out today. It has been a beautiful fall. Lots of sun, wind, and finally a killing frost this week. Grandma's marigolds were looking pretty sad Thursday morning. Keep writing your great stories. We love to read them. It doesn't seem as if you are so far away when we can hear what your days are like.
Grandma's advice for the week..wash your hands often so you don't get the bird flu.
Love,
Mom