Thursday, June 29, 2006

How do you measure a year?



Today I left China. Don’t know when or if I’ll be back, in what capacity, but I am glad that I was there for the past year. I doubted that fact on occasion, that it was good for me. Especially on the days when I was super homesick or when it was Christmas or someone’s birthday. I’ve been close to my friends and family, never lived outside of North Dakota (minus that brief stint in EGF last year), and never strayed to far from home.

Why China? That’s the country that presented me the opportunity. I will always follow what is going on with China as I now have a personal connection to the people and its future. Will I go back? It would be easier than when I moved there a year ago, but unless something comes up, I do not plan to go back to China in the near future. This doesn’t mean that things won’t change tomorrow and I’ll be heading back to Shanghai. I will be back in the US for the month of July and part of August guaranteed.

During my time in China I’ve seen and done some incredible things. Tibet, the F1 Race on the new Shanghai course, spending the night on the street, facing curious stares and shouts everyday, seeing the stars at Mt. Everest, climbing the Great Wall, frustrations and successes in learning Chinese, making friends from all over the world.

You know what you’re going to see, but nothing prepares you for it.

No comments: