Monday, June 19, 2006

It's getting harder and harder to breathe....


So here's the scoop, I'm now in Tibet. The first stop on this sojourn is the capital, Lhasa. I will admit that I was expecting it to look a bit different but the city is still powerful no matter what way you cut it. The initial traveling was a bit rough as Graham and I left Shanghai. For some reason that no one could or would tell us, our plane was going to be delayed. How long? They didn't know. When can we check back to see the time? They couldn't tell us. It was decided that this wasn't anything that a long island iced tea couldn't fix. I called the tour agent and our third travel partner Hunter and got everything straightened out. We arrived into Chengdu around 1am and my head finally hit the pillow at 2am. That was just long enough for a cat nap as I had to get up at 5am, and we were back on our way to the airport by 6am. Can some one say a little travel delirious? We touched down in Lhasa and were met by our guide who is Tibetan.

Now a word of advice: When you go from sea level elevation to 3550m, it is wise to relax and not do to many things on the first day. I'm glad I heeded this advice otherwise I would have been in a world of hurt. All three of us took a nap until 2pm and headed out to eat around 3pm. We had a ton of good food for cheap (guess that runs all over China) and Graham was introduced to his newfound love; Yak. For the past couple of days this kid has gone crazy for the stuff. I guess there are worse infatuations and it does make for some pretty good material.

We've seen the major points of Lhasa including the Potala Palace (seat of government before 1959), The Jokhang (the holiest place in Tibet that is conveniently located outside our hotel), the Barkor circuit (runs around the Jokhang and it's pretty wild to see all these pilgrims doing their thing), along with a few monasteries. Tomorrow we leave for Shigatse on our way to Everest Base camp. Elevation for base camp is 5200m and I'm hoping to be able to catch my breath long enough to get a few photos.

Onward and upward never had such an entertaining meaning as they do this week...
See you when I get back to Shanghai and then back Stateside on June 29. Where has the time gone?

No comments: