Monday, May 23, 2005

Flying through the air with the greatest of ease...


I really don't know what it is about myself and extreme sports in foreign countries but this was one for the history books. A few of us went down to Wanfujing Street because it is one of the first pedestrian shopping streets in Beijing. At the end of the street there is a long open food market with all sorts of food on a stick. I tried some jiaozi (dumplings) and a few people tried the spicy noodles. After recovering from the spicy noodles we took a long hard look at what was actually on some of these said sticks. Our choices ranged from mutton and beef to starfish, sparrows and my favorite: scorpions. My friend John had to leave before he actually attempted eating one of the scorpions kebabs.

After eating our fill we decided to take a stroll around the street again when we saw the most magnitizing sights, a state fair style ride in the middle of the street. It was a slingshot as seen at many state fairs. There were two huge polls that attached to a ring with three seats by bungee cords. At first I wasn't that keen on doing it, but my roommate (in China) Brooke said that she would. After about two minutes of careful consideration, I was in. We waited in line and we thought it would be about 120 kuai per person (15USD) but the said that sign was no good and it would be 80 kuai (10USD). What a deal, bungee jumping in Mexico was 20 USD.

We didn't get any warning, as I had no idea what the people said, so we were rushed into the Beijing night sky. There was nearly a full moon and more stars than I usually see in a big city. I though I would have been more brave, but I screamed like a little girl. Brooke bought the video to prove it. And no you can't see it.

No comments: