Friday, September 30, 2005

Do the fireworks in China rock? Yes, like a hurricane....


So this week is National Day week or Golden Week and if you think China had a lot of people before, this week's clogged streets make you think again. Last night Hagel and along with two TA's from USST went to a fireworks show at Century Park in Pudong. Now I've seen a few firework displays in my day, but going to the place where they were invented...well you know how the commercial goes. The show went on for about an hour and was set over a man made lake. This was a good idea considering some of the things that were done. Different fountains and things were set up on a bridge to make it look like an old Chinese dragon boat. Different samurai figures and two dragons were lit up around the lake along with a spark shower, which consisted of a line stretched across the lake that streamed sparks and was something that I definitely would want if I owned my own lake. The one thing that I had definitely hadn't seen done on purpose. There were balls of green that were shot across the lake. Now after I got over my 4th of July at the farm flashbacks, I was impressed and thankful that this was being shot out over a lake. There were so many things that could have been considered the finale, but if you were at the Pyrotechnics Guild shows last summer and remember that finale, well it was like that but better. For those of you not lucky enough to see that, think of those big exploders that spread out like geraniums and then see about 10 coming at you at once. I, for one, nearly fell over because I though the explosions were coming right at me. Fully satisfied and pumped up after the excellent show, we went out on the town.
Yes when you go to the place something is made, that particular thing is usually mindblowing. Each time I expect things to be good (Guinness in Dublin, Gyros in Greece) but yet never ceased to be amazed. A tip of my cap to the Chinese for doing something else that knocked my socks off.

No comments: