Sunday, October 02, 2005

What is that? Oh yeah, I remember those....

So it's kind of embarrassing, but as we've all learned there are times when it's just best to get it out in the open. Hagel and I were walking across Shanghai because it seemed like a good idea at the time. We ended up by the American consulate and were perusing some of the fine establishments around it. We stopped at The 88 Bar for a place to sit and watch the rain and grab a small snack. After ordering the usual fare of dumplings, we were deep in a discussion. When the waitress brought our dumplings she also put two metal things in the dish. After at least 3-4 seconds of staring at them lightbulbs went on and we said, "Oh yeah, a fork!" I think it's been the first time I've used a fork since the airplane. Now it's not that I actually forgot, but it was a little startling to adapt to something else so quickly without thinking about it.

Hagel has been busting my chops because of my fast food stance. When we were here this summer I made a big deal about the fact I wouldn't eat at a US fast food restaurant. Now this time I have ordered ice cream (my international passion) two separate times at the convenient McDo's walk up ice cream window. It seems to be his badge of honor that he has not yet eaten at one of these places. He will crack, some time, and the tide will turn ;)

Well it happened, I've gotten into podcasting. I kind of knew that it would happen but was waiting to get an iPod before I finally made the plunge. I've been troubled as of late with the fact I can't seem to find a 100% reliable online news stream from a public radio source. This was the impetus behind the whole expedition. I've got my iTunes lined up and have had some success with downloading programs. Now all I have to do is get that Nano that I've been looking for....

No comments: