Friday, October 07, 2005

No oranges for you....

There hasn't been much for news here. I survived Golden Week and even took a day out to visit a few places around Shanghai that I had been looking foreward to seeing. I had tea at the Old China Hand Bookstore. The place has a 1930's type vibe and I enjoyed taking some time and just reading and drinking tea there. I also found the arty type street that Victoria had takend me to and found all kinds of funky things that were right up my alley. I bought a few scarves and did a bunch of window shopping.

I had something new happen. Because the vacation is so long for National Day, the school decided to make up classes. Therefore, I was at my first Saturday class. Everything went fine, but it threw me off enough to think that Saturday was Monday and then I had Sunday off. Not that it's a uncommon thing that I don't know what day it is, but I would say this is a strange reason.

It drives me crazy when I am here that I would do something the American way full well knowing that it won't work in China. Case in point: I wanted to buy oranges. I had been to the supermarket and was excited at finding a different type of yogurt. I got to the check out to pay for my groceries. The lady is very nice and tells me how much I have to pay, but also holds my oranges in the air and says something to me. It dawns on me what she is saying without understanding a word. You can't just take a bag of fruit up to the counter. First one must weigh and put a sticker on the bag in the produce department. I was too dissapointed in myself by that time so the lady held the oranges up to me again and then put them under the counter. No luck and I had to find another breakfast food. The sad part is that I was really craving oranges that day. Next time, next time.

That's all the news that isn't.

No comments: