Friday, February 17, 2006

Back again and couch monkey for now...

I'm glad I escaped the cold of ND. The plan was to enjoy the mild winter in Shanghai. One question...WHY is it snowing!?!?!? I'm pretty sure that was not the first thing I wanted to see when I woke up this morning. But can't change it and I severely need groceries, so that means a venture out mid-morning.

But in the news category: On Northwest flights the alcohol is no longer complimentary. This was a shocker, but the flight was uneventful in spite of this. Guess we can thank bankruptcy for that one.

Next up, I am cleared to work at last. I was getting pretty worried near the end but the morning after I arrived here, my security clearance was finalized and approved. Work starts on Tuesday and I'm getting excited.

Finally, Xiangyang Market is closing. This really means nothing unless you've been to China, but I'll break it down. Xiangyang (aka the Knock-off Market or the Fake Market) is located in central Shanghai and serves as a collection point to those who want to buy imitation name brand goods at low low prices (depending on your bargaining). Lately it's been making big news, on the national broadcast here in China, as the government is going to shut it down. No real surprise that it a huge violation of IPR (intellectual property rights). Considering if you know a name brand it's nearly certain that it's available for sale here, sometimes with minor flaws or in styles that do not exist anywhere else. It's a great place to shop and to find souvenirs for family and friends. Some initially hate the place but once you realize what your getting for the money, you get over it pretty quickly. I really will be sad to see it go, but I'm sure customs agents in the US will not be. They were getting vicious when I returned in January so I can't imagine what they'll be like on my return in June.

My next adventure is to find an apartment. This didn't seem too hard, but I'm depending on people checking their email and I don't yet have a cellphone. Troublesome maybe, but my life as a couch monkey is continued thanks to my friend Denise who was gracious enough to let me stay at her place while she is in the US. Crossing my fingers that it won't be much more than a few days from when she gets back. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You were stateside, eh? Sorry I missed you while you were here. Next time you're home, be sure to let me know. We'll do it up Fargo style!

Kris
vudukerz@yahoo.com, or check me out on myspace. Go there and search; I'm sure you'll find me.